Hi there! How was your September?
I had a really good month. As well as working with my lovely existing clients, I’ve also welcomed a new client. I’ve been busy creating their social media strategy and doing lots of set up activities including giving their channels a complete face lift. I’m really excited to see how we’re going to take their business forward and start to achieve their business goals over the next few months. I really love being part of the process that gives them clarity and makes them fall back in love with their business.
I held another Instagram for Business workshop and met some fab local small business owners. They all got stuck in and shared ideas and I’m already starting to see changes they’re making to their accounts and where they’re trying new things out. I love it when this happens. The next workshop is on 6th Novemeber – tickets are on sale now.
I had hoped to get my website built and live in September but sadly there just aren’t enough hours in the day. I’ve had to face the reality that I just don’t have the capacity to do it and make a proper job of it and so I made the decision to outsource this work to a fellow freelancer. They have the time and expertise and I can concentrate on my clients and upcoming events.
As freelancers there’s sometimes a pressure on us to ‘do it all’ which can quickly lead to overwhelm and stress. I think it’s far better to outsource to a pro and give a fellow freelancer the business and exposure than struggle on. What do you think about this? A big shout out to Evans Creative for helping me out with this one. He’s busy working away behind the scenes as I write this… Can’t wait to show you the finished site!
On with the social media news and updates from September:
- Facebook launched a host of new video tools. Updates to Live Video, Watch Party and the Creator Studio make it easier to create and upload video and reach more people. Video is still king on social media so this could be very handy. If you have a go, let me know how you get on.
- Instagram has been testing a new Stories feature called ‘Clips.’ Sounding very much like Tik Tok (which I have yet to fully explore) users will be able to edit together clips into one video and add music. Definitely one to watch.
- Instagram implemented restrictions on diet and cosmetics surgery ads to under 18 year olds. Hallelujah! These companies prey on very impressionable young people who buy the nonsense being peddled – especially if it has a celebrity endorsement. I think this is a really positive move by Instagram and hope they consider expanding the rules to other areas of concern. Skinny tea? Skinny tan? How on earth do these bogus products get past advertising standards authorities in the first place?
- Twitter is testing the option to hide replies on conversations, giving users greater control over their conversations. From a social media manager’s perspective this is a great move as we’ll be able to hide irrelevant or spammy comments that disrupt the flow of a conversation. Hopefully it will come to the UK soon.
- Instagram started to roll out dark mode to users – perfect for all you night owl scrollers. The white screen can be very glaring and painful for some when scrolling at night so has been welcomed by many. I just hope it doesn’t encourage people to be on their phones when they should be getting some shut eye.
The DIFTK podcast came back with a bang in September. You can catch up on the episodes so far here. I’d really missed these guys, the belly laughs and good advice they provide in spades. Exciting Frankie has launched a new DIFTK newsletter too packed with invaluable advice and help for freelance parents. To subscribe all you have to do is buy Frankie a KoFi. Easy!
That’s it for this month. Do let me know what you’ve been up to and what you have planned. I love October! The nights are drawing in, the log burner is on, everything tastes of pumpkins and the Halloween fun begins (I think I’m more excited than my three year old).
You can always catch up on previous round ups. Also connect with me on social media @stripesocial or drop me an email email@example.com If there’s anything you need a hand with just give me a shout.